Skip to content
Latest release: ‘Dr. Colbert’s Healthy Brain Zone’ details environmental acquired illnesses that can harm brain health

Latest release: ‘Dr. Colbert’s Healthy Brain Zone’ details environmental acquired illnesses that can harm brain health

‘Chronic inflammation can lead to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia’ 

DALLAS — More than 6 million Americans are battling Alzheimer’s. That’s 1 in 9 people age 65 and over, 10% of that population. By 2050 this number is expected to exceed 13 million. From 2000-2019 deaths from Alzheimer’s more than doubled, while mortality rates from heart disease declined. So, what is causing this epidemic of memory-loss and corresponding impact on quality of life?

Dr. Don Colbert observed, “Alzheimer’s and dementia are not diseases or sicknesses that you catch. Nor do they suddenly, randomly, unexpectedly appear. Rather, Alzheimer’s and dementia are the body’s responses to what we are feeding it, doing to it, not giving it, and exposing it to, and all around how we are mistreating it. The body and brain are simply trying to cope.”

For Dr. Colbert, dementia is not an abstract medical condition. He has witnessed firsthand the devasting effects of Alzheimer’s, as both his mother and father struggled with the disease. Board-certified in both family and anti-aging medicine, Dr. Colbert is committed to helping people live longer, healthier lives.

In his latest book, “Dr. Colbert’s Healthy Brain Zone,” the bestselling author details factors that can negatively impact brain health, including one key area: environmentally acquired illnesses.

Dr. Colbert stated, “‘Environmentally acquired illnesses’ is a broad term being used more and more to describe the diseases that cause chronic inflammation, all of which lead to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia. In particular, we are talking about chronic inflammation caused by mold, Lyme disease, Lyme disease coinfections, toxic chemicals, and heavy metals.”

Dr. Colbert notes that, in particular, a considerable portion of the population has difficulty dealing with mold exposure.

“Mold is toxic to about 25 percent of the world’s population,” Dr. Colbert shared. “It turns out that about 75 percent of us create an antibody that binds to the mold and gets rid of it. The remaining 25 percent of the population does not have the genetic ability to make this antibody and flush out the mold toxins.”

No matter the source, over time, exposure to environmental factors can lead to chronic health issues. 

Dr. Colbert said, “A weakened immune system leads to other infections, so by the time people see a doctor, they often suffer from a confusing jumble of diseases with a wide variety of symptoms, including memory impairment.”

Yet despite his personal experience and the troubling statistics on Alzheimer’s, Dr. Colbert believes that prevention is possible.

Dr. Colbert said, “Whatever the ‘environmentally acquired illness’ might be, in the end there is hope!”

For more information about “Dr. Colbert’s Healthy Brain Zone,” click here.

Don Colbert, MD, has been a board-certified family practice doctor for more than twenty-five years in Orlando, Florida, and most recently in Dallas, Texas. He is also board certified in antiaging medicine through the American Academy of AntiAging Medicine and has received extensive training in nutritional and preventative medicine. He is the author of three New York Times best-selling books, including “Let Food Be Your Medicine,” “The Seven Pillars of Health” and “Dr. Colbert’s ‘I Can Do This’ Diet” along with best sellers “Toxic Relief,” the Bible Cure series, “Living in Divine Health,” and “Stress Less.” He has sold more than ten million books and treated more than fifty thousand patients in his years of practicing medicine.


Dr. Colbert’s Healthy Brain Zone” is published by Siloam, an imprint of Charisma House.


To interview Dr. Don Colbert or to receive a review copy of Dr. Colbert’s Healthy Brain Zone,” contact, Jeff Tolson, 610.584.1096, ext. 108, or Deborah Hamilton, ext. 102.

Previous article The Three Temptations of Satan